Croatian classic dish – Buns with pork cracklings, or in Croatian Pogačice s čvarcima / Čvarkuše. They are very popular in Croatia, and it’s not a big problem to make it.
Ingredients for Buns with pork cracklings
- 1/2 kg of flour
- 350 ml of milk
- 1 tbsp of softened butter
- 7 g of dried yeast
- 1 little spoon of salt
- 1/2 little spoon of sugar
- 125 g of minced pork cracklings (pork greaves)
- 1 egg for coating
1. Mix all the ingredients (except pork cracklings and egg) and leave the dough in a warm place to rise, for around one hour.
2. When it’s done, put some flour on the table and roll out the dough on half a centimeter thickness (in rectangular shape).
3. On 2/3 of the dough put minced pork cracklings, and then first fold the side without cracklings, and after that the one with cracklings. Leave it for cca half an hour to rise.
4. Roll out the dough, and repeat the procedure two more times.
5.Last time roll out the dough to be 1 centimeter thick, and leave it to rise one more time. After that cut out the round shape buns and put them on baking pan.
6. Coat the buns with beaten egg, and bake on 392°F (200°C) for cca 15 minutes (must be golden in color).