Honey Cookies recipe I got from lokal beekeepers from Turopolje, it’s their traditional recipe and these cookies are very simple to make. This old recipe belongs to their grandmother, and she didn’t have electric mixer, so you don’t need to have one either. This dough can be kneated and you can use your hands only. Optinaly, you can add sugar topping, but I didn’t, because I think that we have enough sugar in todays food and this little tasty honey balls are so much better without any additions. Also, this recipe is special because you can use chestnut honey, which gave special taste to this little cookies. My version is to mix chestnut and meadow honey, 50:50 but you can put only chestnut, or only meadow honey. It’s up to you! Original recipe, in Croatian, you can find here.
Ingredients for Honey Cookies (for 1 kg of Honey Cookies):
- 250 g of honey – chestnut or meadow
- 120 g of sugar
- 100 g softened butter
- 600 g of flour
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- Mix together sugar and honey (use wooden spoon), than add softened butter and mix well.
- Add the eggs and mix well again.
- Finally, add 500 g of flour with baking soda.
- Knead the dough with your hand and leave it aside for about half an hour.
- Put the rest of the flour (100 g) on your kitchen board (or table) and put dough on it (otherwise the dough will stick to your fingers).
- Make rolls about 2 cm thick from the dough. Cut them on 2 cm long pieces and make little balls with your hand.
- Bake them in a preheated oven at 200 ° C for about 10 minutes.
- Leave the cooled honey cookies closed in a plastic bag overnight and place them in a well-sealed box the next day.