Sweet Potato Dumplings With Plums are part of traditional Hungarian cuisine, but they are so common at Croatian tables that we can freely call them part of our culture. These great dumplings are made from potato dough in which are placed plums (you can also put apricots, or even jam), and then cooked and sprinkled with bread crumbs.
If you want, you can make a larger amount of dumplings and store them raw in the freezer. First place them on a tray and freeze them (so they don’t stick) and then transfer them to plastic boxes or bags.
Ingredients for Sweet Potato Dumplings With Plums (5 to 6 pieces):
- 500 g of potatoes
- 5 or 6 plums
- a little sugar or honey
- 1 tablespoon of oil or softened butter
- a bit of salt
- 200 g of flour
- 1 tablespoon of semolina
- 1 egg
- and more ….
- about 50 g of butter
- bread crumbs
- Cook unpeeled potatoes in salted water for about half an hour – depending on the size of the potatoes, it is best to pierce it with a fork to check. If it is soft so that the fork passes easily, then it is done.
- Leave the potatoes to cool, then peel them and place them in a bowl in which you will mash them.
- First mash the potatoes and then add eggs, semolina and oil (or softened butter) and mash it a little bit more.
- Finally, pour in the flour little by little. 200 g may be too much for you (depending on the potatoes) but add it until you get a mixture that can be shaped. The mixture must not be too thick.
- Leave the resulting potato mixture in the fridge for at least an hour.
- After it has cooled down well, place the potato dough on a floured surface, roll it out lightly (flour it on top if necessary, so that it doesn’t stick) and divide it into 5 to 6 pieces. If you have large plums then 5, and for smaller plums you will need 6 pieces of potato dough.
- Meanwhile, put a liter of water to boil.
- Wash the plums and remove the pits, take a piece of dough in your hands, flatten it a little bit with your hands to make it thinner, shape it into a circle and put the plum in it. You can sprinkle the plums with a little sugar or honey (as I did). With honey you will get a juicier (and healthier) filling.
- Then wrap the plums in dough and form a ball with your hands.
- Put the dumplings in hot water and cook for about 10 minutes, ie until they float out.
- In another pan, fry the bread crumbs in butter and roll the cooked dumplings in them.
You can eat Sweet Potato Dumplings With Plums hot or cold, and serve sour cream with them.