It’s time for masquerades and Croatians always making doughnuts at this time of year. So I remembered this old, family recipe for Dark Chocolate Doughnuts.
Dark Chocolate Doughnuts are crustily on the outside, but soft on the inside, wrapped in chocolate powder and small enough to fit in one bite. These special donuts are perfect for winter days and a little bit different from the others dougnuts, so I suggest you to definitely try them.
Since this is a very old dessert, original recipe says that the donuts must be rolled in grated chocolate and sugar. Today we can buy sweet, ground chocolate powder, so I advise you to use it instead.
Since the recipe includes 4 egg yolks, I advise you to put the egg whites in a freezer bag and put them in the freezer. You can use them later as needed.
INGREDIENTS FOR Dark Chocolate Doughnuts:
- 400 g of flour
- 1 fresh yeast 40 g (or a small bag of dry yeast, 7 gr)
- 1 dcl of warm milk
- 100 g of sugar
- 4 egg yolks
- 70 g of lard or 80 g of softened butter
- a little sugar and salt
- half a liter of oil
- sweetened chocolate powder (200 gr)
- round mold or small cutting cup (diameter about 3 cm)
- Weigh 400 g of flour, and take out one teaspoon of flour that you will add to 1 dcl of warm milk. Add the yeast and a teaspoon of sugar. Allow the yeast to rise slightly.
- Mix the egg yolks and sugar with a mixer, then add flour, yeast with milk, lard or butter (lard is used in the original recipe, but you can replace it with butter in the amount specified in the recipe) and a little bit of salt.
- Make the dough with a mixer (now use dough spirals), and leave it to rise for about an hour.
- When the dough has risen, put a little bit of flour on working surface and roll out the dough to a thickness of about 1 cm (if it is too soft, feel free to add a little more flour.)
- Cut small circles, place them on a baking sheet, cover with a cloth and let rise a little more, about half an hour.
- Pour about half a liter of oil into the pot and let it heat up a lot.
- Insert the donuts, and fry them on each side until they get a nice brown color.
- Take out the fryed donuts and place them on a paper towel to soak up the oil, then roll them in chocolate powder.