Simple recipe for Bećarac, also known as Sataraš. This vegan risotto is made of tomatoes, peppers and rice, and you can eat it as a main dish or as a side dish. My grandfather taught me this recipe from his childhood, and he always told me that he cooked it while he was on ‘bostan’ (a field where melons and watermelons grow).
Ingredients for Sataraš / Bećarac:
- half an onion
- one clove of garlic
- 2 peppers
- 4 tomatoes
- cup of rice (about 150 grams)
- Put rice to boil (ratio 1:2 ie 1 cup of rice and 2 cups of water)
- Chop all the vegetables.
- First stew the onion, then add the garlic and peppers, and finally the tomato.
- Stew the vegetables in a half-open pot so that the tomato liquid can evaporate.
- When the vegetables are done (the peppers must be soft) add the cooked rice and stir