Rice in tomato sauce is usually served with cooked meat, most often veal. This is the meal from my childhood and we called it ‘rice and sauce’. It was among my favorites, just like it is now for my kids.
And when I don’t have cooked meat, this is one of those ‘quick’ dishes that always succeed and everyone likes it. You can make it in literally 20 minutes, i.e. how much take rice to be cooked.
Ingredients for 2 people:
- 1 cup of rice
- 400 ml of tomato sauce (smooth, puree)
- oil, flour, water, salt, sugar
- Cook the rice. The best ratio is 1 cup of rice – 2 cups of water.
- While the rice is cooking, heat a little oil in another pot, and add a tablespoon of flour to make a roux. Add tomato sauce and about a deciliter of water to the mixture, and let it boil to thicken (mix it with with wooden spoon all the time).
- It is always good to add a pinch of sugar to the tomato sauce, and be sure to add a little bit of salt.
- When everything is done, pour the rice into the sauce and let it soak for another 15 minutes.
- Serve warm.