Recipe for Cooked Pretzels I got from Slavonija, so these pretzels contain lard. I inquired a bit (because of those who do not consume this food) if butter can be used instead of lard, so I heard that it can, but it has to be added a little more. So I put the option of 8 tablespoons of softened butter in the recipe, but I have to admit that I haven’t personally tried this variant yet.
Also, I want to mention that these Slavonian Cooked Pretzels have a thick structure, like any other cooked dough. You can serve beer with pretzels, and it is best to consume them while they are warm.
Ingredients for Slavonian Cooked Pretzels:
- 500 g of flour
- 7 tablespoons of melted lard (or 8 tablespoons butter)
- 2.5 dcl of warm milk
- a pinch of salt and sugar
- small bag of dry yeast (7 grams)
- salty dressing: half a teaspoon of salt, 2 teaspoons of flour, about 5 tablespoons of water
Preparation of Slavonian Cooked Pretzels:
- Knead the dough from the listed ingredients.
- It is not necessary to wait for the dough to rise, you can immediately start making pretzels.
- Cut the dough into 6-8 small balls, and make a roll out of each.
- It is desirable that the roller is a little thicker in the middle than at the ends, because this will make it easier to make a pretzel shape. While shaping it, feel free to squeeze it a little with your hands so that it does not start to separate.
- Pour water into a deeper pan (you can also add a tablespoon of baking soda) and let it boil, then add the pretzels one by one. The pretzels are done when they float to the surface (it takes them about a minute).
- Place the pretzels in the baking dish on which you previously placed the baking paper, and preheat the oven to 200 ° C.
- Bake the pretzels for about half an hour, and when you notice that they are slightly browned, sprinkle them with salty topping.
- For the salty topping, mix half a teaspoon of salt, 2 full teaspoons of flour and about 5 tablespoons of water. You should get a mixture a little thicker than that for pancakes.
- Take the pretzels out of the oven, sprinkle them with salty topping (you can use a fork or a whisk) and return them to the oven and let the Slavonian cooked pretzels bake until the end.